SIDESHOW Call for Entries
Second Sundays in Summer 2020
At EXTRA Projects, we love to support and champion new and engaging work from folks with unique viewpoints. One of the ways we do this is through hosting different events at our project space on Diversey Avenue in Chicago. Starting this summer, though, we’re launching a new project.
We are now accepting applications for new video artwork to be shown as part of our inaugural juried summer video screening series. Presented in collaboration with guest juror and curator Jefferson Godard of Aspect/Ratio Gallery, we will project selected video works onto the exterior of our building for enjoyment from our beautiful adjacent side lot during summer 2020.
BUT WAIT, THERE’S AN UPDATE!
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we understand there is a lot more uncertainty than there used to be, especially in the artistic industry. To give a little more flexibility (and hopefully a fun distraction!) to our friends, we have decided to leave the submission window open a little longer. We want to see what you’re working on while we’re all stuck inside!
For the same reasons, note that screening dates are subject to change. However, if at all possible, we hope to celebrate video work with our plans of in-person viewings of the selected submissions! We will continue with the digital portion of the series regardless!
Submissions are now due Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 11:59PM PST. Act fast, and good luck!
- Screening dates: three evenings during Summer 2020
- Screening time: 7:00-9:00PM
- Selected works will be selected based on artistic merit.
- Selected works will be organized into three thematically related screenings. It’ll be some fun parties!
- In addition, we will host the selected works on our website until the conclusion of the screening series.
- Single channel video work only, please.
- Sound is OK! Please mix to stereo or mono.
- No set limits on subject matter.
- Approximately 20 minute maximum runtime.
- Keep in mind this will be publicly viewable.
- Also note this will be shown outdoors, which may affect how people understand your work. We hope you’ll take advantage of this!